The Utility offers customers free heavy trash pickup as often as every two weeks, except during fall leaf collection, which runs November through mid-December.
Heavy trash service is available to Evansville residents who pay for trash service with their water bill. Apartment complexes, mobile home communities, business and commercial customers, and county residents are not eligible.
How It Works
- Complete and submit the heavy trash pickup form and Republic Services will email you to confirm the details of your pickup. Or call Republic Services at 800-886-3345 to schedule a pickup. The day before your scheduled pickup, place your item where you normally place your trash and recycle.
- A collection truck will pick it up and you’re done!
One item is accepted per pickup, except for items that are usually a pair, such as a mattress and a box spring or a table and chairs.
Items allowed include:
- Appliances – Such as a stove, washer, microwave, dryer and water heater, as well as a refrigerator or freezer with refrigerants removed and tagged by a certified professional to meet the City’s safety guidelines regarding disposal.
- Furniture – Such as a sofa, table, chair, mattress, box spring, dresser and bookcase.
- Electronics – Stereo, radio, etc.
- Household Items & Tools – Like a rake or shovel.
- Carpet – One rolled section that is less than 4 feet long and 2 feet around.
- Limited Construction & Building Material – In one container; no boxes, bags, loose piles or stacks.
What’s Not Accepted?
Republic Services cannot pick up hazardous materials or items too large to fit in their collection trucks. These items include:
- Auto Parts – Batteries and tires.
- Electronics – Items that may contain heavy metals such as hexavalent chromium, mercury and lead, including TVs, computers, and computer parts or accessories.
- Construction Materials – Such as concrete blocks, bricks, steel poles or privacy fencing.
- Hazardous Materials
- Bulky Items
Have an Extra-bulky Item?
Heavy trash items have to be able to be lifted by two people and fit inside a normal trash collection truck. Items that won’t fit, such as a swing set, need their own special pickup. Call 800-886-3345 for a disposal quote and schedule a special pickup or contact another disposal service provider.
Republic Services also picks up spring yard waste, fall leaves and Christmas trees. Learn more about these seasonal services.