Workflow Evansville

Leak Adjustments

Leaks can have a major impact on your Utility bill. Most leaks, including those underground – like service pipe leaks, or leaks in crawl spaces or concrete floors – are the responsibility of the property owner or tenant to repair. After a plumber has repaired your leak, you may be eligible for a future adjustment in your bill. 

Requesting a Leak Adjustment

  • Complete and submit the leak adjustment form within 90 days of the bill in which the leak first appeared.
  • Provide copies of receipts for plumbing supplies, your plumber’s invoice or photos of the repairs using any of these options: 
    • Upload your receipts, invoice, photos and/or documentation of the repairs at the bottom of the leak adjustment form. Please include the tracking number you receive after you complete the leak adjustment form.
    • Drop them off at EWSU’s office in the Civic Center. Be sure to include your mailing address and the tracking number of the application.
    • Or, mail them to: Evansville Water and Sewer Utility, P.O. Box 19, Evansville, IN 47740-0001.

Please note: 

  • Adjustments are not made for vandalism or neglect. 
  • Other activities that increase your average water use, like filling a swimming pool, washing vehicles and watering sod, are not eligible. 
  • The meter at the property must not be accessed, tampered with, or turned on or off by anyone other than EWSU representatives.
  • Only one adjustment per year per meter may be considered. Please see the Customer Rights and Responsibilities document for more details.