If you need assistance with paying your rent or utility bills, help may be available. There are many churches, charities, service organizations and specialty programs that want to help.
For questions about any of these programs, please visit ewsu.com/Contact or call 812-436-7846.
The Salvation Army offers two services that may provide Evansville Water and Sewer Utility customers with assistance paying their utility bills, reconnection charges and other fees.
- Greater Evansville Rapid Response Fund – This program is sponsored by the United Way of Southwestern Indiana and community collaborators. It can cover up to 12 months of past due utility bills, reconnection charges and penalty fees.
- Salvation Army General Fund – This fund covers up to $5,000 of past bills, reconnection charges and penalty fees. To qualify, you cannot have requested financial help from the Salvation Army within the past year.
Contact Salvation Army at 812-422-4673 to see if you qualify.
Indiana Emergency Rental Assistance Program
The Indiana Emergency Rental Assistance (IERA) program is designed to decrease evictions, increase housing stability, and prevent homelessness. It is designed to help renters whose income has been negatively impacted by COVID-19 with rent and utility assistance.
Help for Tenants
IERA can provide eligible renters with up to 12 months of utility assistance, including bills that are past due. Apply for the IERA program.
Help for Landlords
Landlords may encourage renters to apply for assistance through the IERA program. Landlords are encouraged to:
Other Local Agencies Offering Assistance
If you are behind on your utility bill, there are several other local charities you may contact for help.
- Community Action Program of Evansville 401 SE 6th Street 812-492-3941
- Water & Energy Assistance program information click here: CAPE
- Catholic Charities 2111 Stringtown Road 812-423-5456
- Mission of Grace 418 E. Gum Street 812-464-2919
- Outreach Ministries 734 W.Delaware Street 812-464-1025
- St. Vincent DePaul 809 N. Lafayette Street 812-425-3485
- HOPE of Evansville 612 SE 4th Street 812-423-3169 ext. 105
Help for Veterans
- Rolling Thunder - Veterans Affairs 1738 Glenmoor Road 812-435-0799